The Division of Biology at Kansas State University is accepting applications and nominations for a Financial Officer position starting in spring 2014.
The position will be responsible for all fiscal and business activities for the Division and reports directly to the Director. The Division of Biology is one of the largest academic units at K-State and is engaged in research, teaching and outreach activities. The current scope of work for this position includes oversight and reconciliation of over 120 active accounts and $18.6 million in spending. Funding is provided by federal, state and other private and non-profit entities. The position directly supervises 6 office staff who provide service to a diverse population of over 100 faculty, staff and approximately 170 student employees.
Job duties and responsibilities include:
- Serve as primary resource for the Division Director and other personnel in all financial matters.
- Solicitation of bids and contract purchases of goods and services.
- Processing of travel requests and reimbursements.
- Submission of required documentation to Human Resources for hiring and payment of personnel.
- Preparation of all reports required by the K-State Division of Financial Services, such as those required for external sponsors and for maintenance of university inventory, accounts receivable records and reconciliation of all active accounts.
- Assisting faculty and staff with preparation of proposals for federal, state and other sponsored funding.
- Maintenance and management of equipment inventory.
- Monthly financial reports for Principal Investigators regarding account status.
- Coordination of accounts that include multiple collaborators across campus and at other universities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities needed:
- Knowledge of federal, state and K-State policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain solid business practices.
- Experience in design and production of financial reports that are accurate and timely.
- Excellent organizational & communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience supervising multiple employees and fostering an atmosphere of service.
A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or a related field and minimum of five years accounting and supervisory experience is required. Master’s degree and experience with research administration in a university setting, preferred.
TO APPLY, please email the following in a single PDF file to email@example.com: a cover letter outlining experience and interest in the position and a complete resume. Please request that letters from three references be sent to the Financial Officer Search Committee by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applications submitted electronically will be accepted. Screening of applications will begin on February 3, 2014, and continue until position is filled.
KSU is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks diversity among its employees and encourages applications from women and minorities. A criminal background check is required of the successful applicant.